Clutch woes... FIXED!

To: list roadster <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch woes... FIXED!
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:47:48 -0700 (PDT)
A couple of folks had asked for an update on my clutch woes, so I thought
I'd subject you all to an update :)

   Recap: daily driver, I put the last 30k miles on it. Got in it one
night, and the clutch wouldn't disengage.  I replaced the clutch
master, slave, hose, and flushed. Nada.  I discovered that I _could_
get the clutch to disengage by grabbing the clutch fork and yanking it
around a bit. Not only would it disengage, but it would run/shift fine
for the duration of a ride! I shut engine off, then it wouldn't disengage
again!
   So, we pulled the engine to do a clutch job.
   The only likely candidate: A spring fell off the disc when
bellhousing was disassembled (pretty expensive spring job!!).
   Other observations: there's some kinda spring (retainer?) holding
the clutch fork onto the throwout bearing.. completely MISSING. Well,
I guess I didn't need it too bad?! But we put a new (used) one back
on. Clutch disc wasn't particularly worn, but was pretty glazed (I'm
SURE the p.o. did that, not me!). clutch pedal clevis pin was worn
almost 1/2 way through(!) (I got another one of those).

  Runs fine now!! I'm still getting used to the most excellent
(ZTherapy) carbs I put on 2 days prior to clutch failure, so I'm still
distracted by the performance improvement to notice any HUGE
difference in clutch operation. Nice (71 degree) day to get it back on
the road though!! Kinda hard to work, mind you...

  Many thanks to the roadster 'community' for all the help and parts
getting back on the road: Eric Frisbee, Mike Koken, Don Morrell,
Laurie (for the Beck/Arnley xref on the web).

dan neff    '69 2000
colorado springs, co
  www.wycroc.org

http://im.yahoo.com/