OT: Roadsters are too small to be a decent electric car

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT: Roadsters are too small to be a decent electric car
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:07:33 -0700
No Politics, eh?  Not much valid science, either!
(couldn't resist! <grin>)
    Ok, I got started on electric cars when I had a parts roadster lying
around...  I didn't want to trash the shell, but it wasn't worth
anything to me as it sat, and nobody wanted it, so I thought I could
make it into an electric.  Did the research, and my electric roadster
would have had a pretty limited range (20 miles, maybe).  So I found
another chassis, one that had room for more batteries, and chopped up
the parts car.   It really WAS a mess, and I found some NASTY rust with
the sawzall.
    But my electric roadster wouldn't have destroyed the environment
quite as quickly as the gas one does, and since I'd charge at night, the
immediate pollution cost would have been MUCH less- at night, most of
our electricity up here comes from hydro and clean natural gas.  (now,
there is that pesky salmon...)  The driveline would have been stock
1600, except for the little DC motor under the hood.  Lotsa lead, fer
sher, but when the batteries needed to be replaced, 96% of their metal
can be recycled...
    So if you see an electric VW notchback in Seattle in the next few
years, say HI!
Toby B