Steering box questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering box questions
From: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 10:15:28 -0400
Hey, thanks for all of the tips we've received so far on a number of
things.  We just tightened up the steering via the screw on top of the
steering box, but now I have a few questions:

1. We tightened the steering box until there was almost no play in the
steering--about 1/2 inch play, whereas before there was ~3 inches.  But
this has increased steering effort enough to make us wonder if we tightened
it too much.  What is the rule here?

2. We looked but didn't see any zirc/grease nipples on the steering
box--How does one lubricate the steering box.  I'm assuming that there is a
plug where a zirc fitting should go, and there appeared to be at least one
or two potential plugs on the steering box.  If there are plugs, where
exactly are they?

3. Will lubricating the steering box ease steering effort without having to
increase steering play, or do we need to live with more steering play?

Thanks for any answers up front.
Alex and Dennis Avery
Augusta, County
Virginia