Re: Steering box questions

To: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>,
Subject: Re: Steering box questions
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 13:44:24 -0700
Alex Avery wrote:

> 1. We tightened the steering box until there was almost no play in the
> steering--  But this has increased steering effort

This may be to tight if there is no grease in the box.

> 2. We looked but didn't see any zirc/grease nipples on the steering
> box--How does one lubricate the steering box.

No grease zerks.  There is a plastic plug on top of the box.  It either has a
square drive plug in it either the size of a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive ratchet.
Unscrew it and put 90 wt. gear lube in there.  Drain out the old stuff first.
There should be a small plug in the side of the box unless you have a newer
model.  Use regular grease on the idler box on the other side of the frame.

> 3. Will lubricating the steering box ease steering effort without having to
> increase steering play, or do we need to live with more steering play?

Wait until you put fresh gear lube in there to decide.  You may have a dry box
and the lube should help.
Bob