Broken valve spring saga

To: "Stephan Sochoux" <stephan@mycustoms.com>,
Subject: Broken valve spring saga
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 08:12:19 -0700
Hi all-

...recall 'Bad News' then 'Good News?'?  My '69 2000 quit running in a
horrible ruckus at 6,000RPM.

I was absitively posalutley certain that I had destroyed something major;
thinking, "oh crud, there's about a grand down the drain."  The engine
would only barely run, was backfiring and sputtering through one of the
carbs, and there was a nasty pinging noise that sounded an awful lot like
broken bits bouncing around in the combustion chambers.

Pulled the valve cover off, found a broken exhaust valve spring;  put out
the call to the list, and Stephan Sochoux was good enough to supply me
with a freebie.  Thanks a bunch, Stephan!  I gotcher beer handy, m'man! :-)

Put it on there this weekend, kind of a PITA, but doable.  Then, cross the
ole fingers for luck, and VAAAA-rrrrrooooooooom!  Oh boy, like a ten ton
weight lifted off my chest.  Started right up, ran smooth and strong.

Drove it around town a bit on Saturday, then Sunday the wife and I headed
out to Bodega Bay for sun and sand.  Perfect weather for a roadster run.

The only down side to the experience is that I'm afraid to run it up to
6K again:-(  Not really a problem, it makes enough juice at 5K, but it's
a bummer having a Datsun I can't whoop the stuffin outta. :-]

Thanks again, to Stephan in particular, and the list in general!

Kyle
       ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
   _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28/E88/SU, 5sp, all poly - Z Beast
  `-(#)------(#)-<  69 2000, next job:  exhaust system -Toadster