They're after our cars again!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: They're after our cars again!
From: STAN CHERNOFF <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 07:05:59 -0700
WARNING!

The headline today in my local California "Fishwrap" newspaper said: "SMOG
CHECK PROGRAM FACES OVERHAUL".

The first paragraph said that the California Inspection and Maintenance
Review Committee will will recommend reinstatement of testing on the
800,000 cars in the state built between 1966 and 1973.  They refer to these
cars as "Smog-belching clunkers".

Mr. Dennis DeCota, a member of the committee, is quoted as saying "The most
asinine thing bureaucrats did was to give up our right to test those older
vehicles"  Please keep in mind that Mr. DeCota is the executive director of
the California Service Station and Automotive Repair Association.  Could
there be a conflict of interest for financial reward???

We need to get the word out and contact our state legislators to gird
against the proposed attempt to confiscate our cars.  They are also
proposing hidden remote sensors on the street that would measure emissions
and photograph license plates so that big brother could summon the owner to
a state approved test station.  They are also considering a plan to "Make
Offers" to buy polluters, another semi-confiscation technique.

If state Senator Quentin Kopp is still in office, please contact him
because he championed S.B. 42 that got us the needed relief.  We need an
organized effort to thwart this confiscation effort.

Please do what you can to spread the word to people involved with old and
collectible cars.  If we wait too long before acting then we may be too late!

Stan Chernoff
Torrance, CA