Re: They're after our cars again!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: They're after our cars again!
From: svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:19:26 -0700
Mr. De Cota's statement seems especially self-serving in light of the following
statement,
a direct quote from the Executive Summary of the IMRC (Inspection Maintenance
Review
Committee) "Smog Check II Evaluation" report:

"Pre-1974 model year vehicles that are currently exempt from the Enhanced
Program account
for 4% to 8% of on-road tailpipe emissions, depending on the pollutant.
Non-tailpipe
(evaporative) HC emissions were not measured for this study, but are also likely
significant."

The report, in several sections, BIG pdf files) is available online at
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/smogweb/IMRC/default.asp?RefPage=IMRC/Pubs/IMRC20000619TOC.htm

On the other hand, there is currently a bill in committee with the CA State
Legislature,
SB825, which aims to close a loophole in Quentin Kopp's SB47 (which exempted
1973 model
year and earlier vehicles from biennial and Change-of-Ownership smog check
requirements)
by extending that exemption to cover the on-the-road checks. Write your local
representative in support of SB825!

As undesirable as it may be, the reinstatement of smog checks for this class of
vehicles
can not be classified in any way, shape or form as an attempt to confiscate our
cars. As
for the buyback offer, while it may be insulting to the owner of a
well-maintained
classic, or even not-so-classic, but older, car to get a note from the DMV
offering to buy
it for $500, it is a paranoid leap of faith to characterize this as even a
"semi-confiscation technique". It is not wild-eyed rhetoric, but well-reasoned
presentation of the salient facts to your state legislators that will preserve
our
vehicles' immunity from the pain-in-the-ass biennial smog checks.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA