Re: Rainy day projects part 1

To: "Daniel Neuman" <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: Rainy day projects part 1
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:27:11 -0700
> Hello All,
> I am planning my rainy day projects.  I want to install my new B cam
> and followers soon.  Is there a tech tip out there for this.  I also want to
> shim up my timing chains-they have never been shimmed before and are starting
> to have a slight rattle on hot start-up.  Is there an approved official way to
> do this?? Is there a faq or tech tip somewhere that explains this??
> Don't know why working on the major engine components scares me so
> much... I actually scared to death of messing up somthing serious on the
inside
> of my engine.
> Daniel 69 2000
> SF CA

Hi Daniel;

Wouldn't you know it, I was just in there:-)  Can't offer 'official' anything,
but
I'll share what I did - To shim the upper tensioner, you remove the access plate
at
the front of the head, carefully pry back the lock plate from the two bolts that
hold the tensioner to the head, and unbolt it.  Be super careful not to drop
anything!

Once you get it out, you'll be able to pull the tensioner apart (more likely it
will
spring apart on its own).  Before disassembly, see how far the tensioner block
extends
out of the tensioner body.  Make the shim that same size, or slightly smaller.

For a shim, it's not rocket science.  Some folks use flat washers; you will have
grind them flat on one side so the tensioner can bolt onto the head.  I wound up
using a pilot bushing, cut to size.  Why?  It was handy, didn't need any
massaging
to work (other than cutting to size), and somehow I figured the
copper/bronze/whatever
would be more compliant than steel flat washers.  Probably not true, but there
you go.

You can shim that tensioner and be back on the road in an hour, pretty simple.

To change the cam, well, I haven't done that, but - the U20 is pretty cool in
its cam
setup - there are caps on each of the cam journals that you unbolt; I imagine
you
then just pull the cam up and out.  Now you obviously have to secure the cam
gear to
the 'Evil L' before taking the cam out;-)  Once you get the cam out, you can
change
the rockers, they just sit on the rocker ball and lash pad, held in with the
moustrap
springs.  You might want to back the valve adjusters off before putting the cam
in, JIC
the new followers are thicker, or new cam's base circle is larger, or anything
else
weird.

HTH
Kyle
'69 2000, maybe trading in on a Corvair:-)