Re: Fun with 914's

To: svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com, CalSpeed@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fun with 914's
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:46:36 EDT
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Porsche crest appear on the
hubcaps?  At any rate, a properly built 914-4 will blow the doors off of a
stock 914-6.  I didn't believe it until I saw it.  There was a guy in
Augusta Georgia that autocrossed a 914-4.  He had the motor updated (bored,
webers, headers, cam, etc.) and he dominated the local scene.  The next
nearest car was a Fiat X1/9.  It was VERY competitive as well.  This guy did
so well that the Porsche club in Atlanta sent a ringer down to compete - a
VERY nice (and very fast) 914-6.  The 914-4 ate his lunch.  The -6 did edge
out the Fiat, so it was definately competitive as well.  This was not
isolated either.  The same thing happened when the autocross was held on
Roebling Road in Savannah.

Oh yeah, one other thing to mention.  The -4 did NOT have box flares.  All
that he did was roll an aluminum baseball bat inside the wheelwells to ease
the lip.  He was running narrow tires (the widest that he could fit) so it
was not an issue of him having a stormer that was purpose built.  The car
was also his daily driver.......

Sid