Re: For Starters

To: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>,
Subject: Re: For Starters
From: Jim Williams <jamesd_williams@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:41:37 -0700 (PDT)
There are  several things to look for on the
starter... First, and most obvious, look to make sure
the cables and selenoid connections are clean and
tight...I have found that these loosen up, especally
the large ower connection from the battery to the
starter.  Often this bolt gets loose and the selenoid
will not make contact.  I have found that you can
loosen the main power bolt to the selenoid and rotate
it slightly. This gives a new contact for the selenoid
as it pulls in and somethings gives many more minths
of service. Second, often the brushes in the starter
motor wear down and do not contact the armature unless
they are bumped(by hitting the case) If you can find a
new brush set,its a cheap fix... Lastly, sometimes the
selenoid sticks and is freed up by a hit to the
case...If you have an oil leak that runs down into the
starter (VWs were famous for this)it can cause both of
these problemes along with high temps from the
exhast.... Try some header insulation or a metal shied
around the starter if you suspect heat or oil...
Jim Williams
68 2000
Scottsdale, AZ

--- "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>