Re: Perceived Performance Gain?

To: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Perceived Performance Gain?
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:56:35 -0500
>Now, I swear I feel a performance gain! Especially in the lower RPM ranges.
>This may just be me. I know that whenever I do something that's been a major
>issue on my car, I feel like it run's better.
>
>Do you folks think this is possible? Does my car run better or am I crazy or
>both?

Maybe a little of both?<grin> I'd say it's a safe bet that the new system
lowers back pressure considerably (compared to stock), it may also be
generally promoting mixture flow by scavenging the burnt gases from the
combustion chamber, and it probably has the net effect of leaning your
mixture a bit. If the mixture was a bit rich before, it may be happier
now.

It's probably a good idea to put in new plugs and keep an eye on the
insulator color. You might gain further by richening the mixture to take
advantage of the better flowing exhaust. Best way to quantify all of
these possibilities would be to do before and after dyno tests, but I
doubt that many of us have that sort of access. Wonder if these G-Tech
gadgets really work as advertised? At the price ($180?), if they really
work, they're worth considering for individuals, certainly for a group.

One modification that I'm surprised I don't hear about more is swapping
in a later model breakerless distributor. I know when we get another
2000, that'll be high on the to do list. I'll keep the OEM unit in case I
want to do shows or some such, but for daily use the EI units are the
only way to go, IMHO. That is unless you want to spring for a crankfire
setup. But that's another story.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)