RE: Brake Fluid

To: "'Brad Holmes'" <bholmes@monk.aum.edu>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Brake Fluid
From: "WILSON,BOB (A-SantaClara,ex1)" <bob_wilson@agilent.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:33:14 -0500
This sounds really great since Dot 3 and Dot 4 fluids still absorb water
which then causes corrosion problems with the brake cylinders etc.  But, a
friend at work replaced the fluid in his vehicle (1976 Toyota Celica) with
Dot 5 (silicone). He did flush the system (had Dot 3 in before)but of course
some little bit of Dot 3 was probably still in there.  Everything was fine
for awhile.  But after about 6 to 12 months (he doesn't remember exactly),
he started getting leaks. It turned out that the Dot 5 fluid was NOT
compatible with his rubber parts and they became soft and leaked.  He had to
rebuild the whole brake system.  So I have since thought that the silicone
fluid was NOT compatible -- but this web site says it is compatible.  Has
anyone had similar experience?

Bob Wilson
'70 1600