Re: drilled and slotted rotors

To: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Subject: Re: drilled and slotted rotors
From: Dennis Currington <DC@Datsuns.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 23:20:20 -0800
Alex Avery wrote:

> I installed a set of slotted/drilled rotors on my father's '69 2000 last
> year and they work fine.  I'm not sure about increased performance, but
> they weren't that expensive and despite some hard braking, they haven't
> cracked yet. They were made by an Australian company that specializes in
> cross drilling and slotting rotors, and were purchased through one of the
> roadster vendors.  I wonder if they would care to join in this discussion?
> Pros, cons?
>
> Alex

Alex, et al,

We (CDM) have sold maybe 10 sets of the DBA cross drilled/slotted rotors since
they
became available a couple years ago and have not had any negative feedback on
them.  I have had them on my 2000 since we first got them and am very happy with
them. But then, I do drive hard and rely on my brakes ALOT.  The biggest
advantage
I noticed was when running the 3-mile road course at Thunderhill.  Up until that
time my brakes would heat up and I would lose pedal after a couple hard laps.
With
the new rotors I had ZERO fade or pedal loss.  However, I did lose that
wheel..........?? (no connection, literally :-)

These rotors tend to eat up the pads a little faster, but not to the extreme.  I
haven't measured the rotors since installation but I don't think there has been
any
excess wear, maybe actually less than solid rotors.

Dennis

--
Dennis Currington
1967.5 Solex 2000 #289