Re: What does ISO mean?

To: Gary Boone <gboone@sisna.com>
Subject: Re: What does ISO mean?
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:42:43 -0600
ISO stands for International Standards Organization.  I went to their web site,
but couldn't verify what I thought they did!  Mu understanding is that ISO,
in our roadsters, refers to hardware, specifically, the bolt and screw sizes.
I believe that ISO (on our roadsters) can be thought of as "metric".

Years ago there were many thread pitch/diameter combinations that were only
made by one company or another.  An example of this is the carb cover screws
on my 67.5 1600!  ISO standardized the combinations that we see almost
every where these days.  ISO hardware, I believe can be recognized on screws,
at least by the indented "dot" on the head of the screw.

If anyone believes me to be off base I'm sure they will speak up!

Peace,
Pat

--

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner