Which is number 1 cylinder?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Which is number 1 cylinder?
From: "WILSON,BOB (A-SantaClara,ex1)" <bob_wilson@agilent.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:56:42 -0500
Hi list,

This is an embarassing question but I must ask. Which is number 1 cylinder
and what is the pattern of the distributor wires?

I thought it was this way, but when I tried to start my newly rebuilt engine
yesterday, it wouldn't run until I reversed the spark plug wires. I am
confused (again).

This is what I thought was right:

Block:
 ----------------------
 |                    |
 |  4    3    2    1  |   Radiator is here.
 |                    |
 ----------------------

Distributor:

       1  2
       3  4

The above is how it looks when looking down from above the car. Left is the
rear of the car (or firewall) and to the right is the front of the car (or
radiator). So this view would be if you were on the passenger side of the
car looking down on the engine compartment.

The above does not work. I had to reverse the block spark plug numbers so
that 1 was to the rear and 4 was to the front, to get the engine to run.

What is going on? I seem to remember that the piston rods were numbered as I
have shown above.

Any suggestions?

Bob Wilson
1970 1600 stroker.