Re: Remove second gas tank on '70?

To: "Adam Bradley" <ambradley@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Remove second gas tank on '70?
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 10:39:33 -0500
>Yes, that's what I mean.  I realize it isn't filled directly but some
>gasoline can make its way into that tank via expansion, or so I've been
>told.  It's taking prime real estate in the trunk, and since I plan to
>remove the smog pump, I'm not too concerned about remaining stock.
>
>Anyone know the answer?

As mentioned it's part of the fuel vapor recovery system. This takes the
place of the older style straight vents to the outside air. Carb setup,
fuel delivery and some other things depend on proper functioning of the
entire system. I've seen other cars with this removed that then tend to
pressurize the gas tank due to heating and lack on venting which  forces
gas past the needles and seats in the carbs.

I would strongly suggest not messing with it. I look at it as something
like the PCV valve. Both are passive devices that cost no horsepower to
leave operating and removing them properly requires a whole new set of
adjustments and fixes.

Bill Kenyon can probably give a more definitive answer.

FWIW, Ron

The ACL Group
Arlington, Texas
(817) 572-0873