Re: Lightened flywheel

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lightened flywheel
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:49:16 -0500
Fred,

My 17 year old nephew was out for the summer. One catch, he had ONLY
driven automatics. All of my vehicles are stick.

I tried explain the difference between the Flywheel mass in the Land
Cruiser (very heavy) and Maxima (very light!). He wasn't sure, so I
let him back out TWO vehicles, so he could learn the difference.

He stalled the Maxima about a dozen times back out of the driveway...
finally rev'd that engine and DROPPED the clutch... about 4' worth
of smoky rubber streaks were laid down.

With the Land Cruiser: Just let off the clutch... it just moves.
Slow, but steady. One of the few cars that I start when uphill,
and IN GEAR. Great for SF. ;-)

Of any STREET vehicle, I think the Maxima has the lightest flywheel
around on a production vehicle. Yes, I tend to stall it a few times per
week!

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX