Re: Lightened flywheel

To: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Subject: Re: Lightened flywheel
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:49:10 -0700
I think what Marc /meant/ to say was KE = 1/2 (Iw^2), where KE  is the kinetic
energy of
the rotating mass, I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity (^2
 means
squared).

What this equation tells us is that increasing either the moment of inertia of
the
flywheel or it's angular velocity (rpm) will increase the amount of stored
energy it
represents. One can also see that  it takes more energy input to raise the
angular
velocity to a given value if the value of  I is higher. I is representative of
not only
the mass, but its distribution, and as Marc stated in the full text of his
post, mass that
is located further from the rotational center of the flywheel resists rotation
more than
the same mass closer to the center (or words to that effect), in addition to
the thermal
issues to be considered.

Isn't physic fun?

Gary  McCormick