Re: Grose jets

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Grose jets
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:35:14 -0600
Well, I was going to shut up, but on Sun, 26 Aug 2001, datsunmike said:
>FWIW, I spoke to Joe Curto, "SU Expert," and asked him about "gross"
>jets and he told me in his years of experience he had far too many
>problems with them and considers them a nice idea that doesn't work
>well.

  I got my NEW replacement Grose jets today and popped 'em in. While
they DID eliminate the original (float bowl overflow) problem, the car
ran poopy! Hard to describe because it wasn't severe. Lumpy acceleration.
Spazzy low end. Noisier engine -- almost 'rough' but not quite. NOTHING
like the smooth, quiet, powerful, response I'm getting out of a stock
jet float lid/assembly! And all I did beyond the swap was (had to)
adjust the idle mix a hair.

  I can only think of a few possible explanations: 1) since I'm
swapping lid assemblies, maybe the floats have to be adjusted
differently for Grose jets and I'm running 'em too lean? 2) the jets
threaded kinda tight; perhaps I'm shearing little slivers of brass
everytime I screw them in (that was what I originally found jamming
the steel ball - little brass slivers), 3) the glass/plastic(?) ball is
too bouncy - causing too much, too fast a fluctuation in gas flow? Or
4) Grose jets aren't a good idea for high altitude (6,000ft+) and/or
my car. or some combination of the above.

  Anyway, I'm running stock jets thank-you-very-much (anybody need a
pair of 2L grose jets with about 30 minutes of use?). I'm glad grose
jets work for some of you, but am gladder (sic) that there's some
'support' for my car not liking them.

  And thanks to Mike Koken for the stock jets loan :) !
  Once again, I can say it's running better than it EVER has!!
 (just how much better do these things run anyway? How much more Oomph
can I nurse outta this thing?? 'course I start to drool when i think of
what these things must do at sea level - 20% (or so) more O2. You
flatlanders are sooooo lucky!!)

dan neff    '69 2000
colorado springs, co
www.wycroc.org