Re: Copper head gaskets - leak free

To: "Pamela Pepoy" <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Subject: Re: Copper head gaskets - leak free
From: "Helter Skelter" <helterskelter@home.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:37:42 -0700
well... that's good for starters.
as for removing the copper and replacing with stainless... it's quite simple
really... easy to show how to do it... but hard to explain... or at least
hard for ME to explain...  the best bet would be to remove the copper
wire... measure the diameter... find some stainless of the same diameter
(most of the time .041 is used)(mcmaster supply would be a good source...
also any aircraft supply should have it)... then tap it into the groove with
a brass hammer... just so it is "stuck" in the groove... to keep it in
place... but it doesn't need to be "mashed" in place... the gasket will do
that. and where the two ends meet... just use a
pair of wire cutters to cut the wire so when it's put into the groove it
butts against the start of the wire ring.

as for o-ringing the head... that's a bit more complex... and requires a
machine shop with a boring bar... a mill... and a very competent machinist.
the preferred way is to place the o-ring in the head... then place a
receiver groove in the block to match... the receiver would be a wider
groove... but on the same diameter as the o-ring... so the gasket would be
pushed by the wire into the receiver groove... sort of locking it in.

actually... since you already have the ring in the block... unless your
gonna be using a large shot of nitrous... or have some high compression...
12:1 or more... the o-ring in the block should be fine... but i would
change over to stainless.

as for having the block milled to remove the grooves... be very careful as
to just how much you remove... if you remove too much... then you might run
into troubles with piston to valve clearances... head to piston
clearances... and "quench" clearances... and on the 2000s... it could lead
to chain/cam timing troubles... especially if the head has been milled also.
i am not saying that milling the block down .030"+... won't... can't... or
hasn't worked... but just be cautious to potential headaches.