RE: Tire Size vs wheel width again

To: "'Chris Robertson'" <ckrobertson@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Tire Size vs wheel width again
From: "Laury, Victor" <LauryV@MTA.NET>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:39:30 -0800
>4.38 ratio?!?!  Wow, I hope you tow it to the track!

Nope. And the track is over 100 miles away in San Diego. Grandma, in her 77
Ford LTD wagon, passes me on the freeway, while I'm turning 4.5 grand. It's
a little annoying. OK, It's a lot annoying. But, On the course, It's the
"F'n" best! And the good thing about the Kumho's is that you CAN drive to
the events and race a whole season on one set. The Hoosiers wear out in two
events or less than one practice day. Mine have a practice day, 8 events,
about a thousand miles in commutes and fun runs. I don't expect them to last
much longer. but that WAY more than I expected them to last!

>IIRC, the rule of thumb is that wheel width should be at least 75% of tire
width, and that's pushing it.  A 6" rim is only 67.7% of a 225 tire, if you
convert 225 from mm to inches.  The most narrow wheel you could get away
with would be 7" wide.  Are your fenders stock?  I'm not sure you could get
away with a 225 tire anyway.  You have a 5 speed, right?

looks like I'll stay with the 195/55's. After all, they are lighter. And
with the new Ectsa's they will be even lighter still!  Yes to stock fenders
and 5 speed. What in the heck does IIRC mean anyway?

>Are you still running those ARs you bought from me?  Those have the perfect
offset for a roasdter regarding clearance, so keep that in mind if you
upgrade to 7 inchers.

YES! I don't think I could find a better rim! You really did me a solid on
that deal Chris! They are Lighter than ANY of the available brands. I would
have had to go for a custom built race wheel for $$$$.$$ to get any better.
BTW, I'm hoping to find center caps for these wheels. Does anyone have any
leads?

///
///