Re: start

To: "Mark Clary" <mclary8@home.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: start
From: "Roadster" <roadster@texoma.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 11:24:05 -0600
Hi Mark,

First a question; does you car have headers or stock exhaust manifold?  I
have never run across a set of headers that will allow removal of the
starter motor.  The headers have to come out first.  The stock manifold has
depressions that will allow the motor to come out.  Just barely but it can
be done.

If you have a stock manifold, take the starter off of the engine.  Get it
turned around so the nose sticks out between the frame and body just behind
the wheel.  With the solenoid pointed up it will almost clear the opening.
Take a small pry bar (a cat's paw works nicely) and nudge it the rest of the
way out.  To replace it, stick it in as far as it will go.  Wiggle and
rotate to get it as far in as possible.  Lie on your back and give it a
good, solid kick on the nose piece with your heel.  It is, too be sure, a
true PIA!

Before jumping into this I suggest that you exhaust all other possibilities.
Does the solenoid "clumk" when you try the key?  If so, suspect the switch
in the rear of the solenoid.  If not, make sure that you have power to the
solenoid start wire.  It is a small wire that connects to a small lug on the
engine (I think it is the engine) side of the solenoid right next to the
battery lug.  (9 o'clock position when looking at the back of the solenoid.)
If there is power to this point but the solnoid fails to pull in, I would
suspect the solenoid.

If the solenoid pulls in but the motor fails to run there is a final check
that you can do.  BE VERY CAREFUL!!!  You can get into serious trouble here.
Find a WIDE screw driver or small pry bar.  Put a couple of layers of
electrical tape the full length of the shaft leaving about 1/8" of the tip
exposed.  Jam this across the two big lugs on the back of the solenoid.  The
motor should run at this point.  However, it won't crank as the solenoid
pulls the Bendix in as well as applying power to the motor.  Do not neglect
the tape!  If the battery wire is grounded it is well likely that the
battery will explode.  If you have never seen a car battery explode you
don't want to!  Just tape up the bar and everything will be fine.

Once the  starter is removed from the engine, the solenoid can be removed.
It is a tough job, however.  IMHO, it is a toss up between pulling the
starter or removing just the solenoid   I suggest that you pull the starter
even if it is just the solenoid.  Then take the starter to your local,
friendly auto electrical facility and have it checked.  Once the thing is
removed it is cheap insurance to keep from having to do it again.  Good luck
and keep the faith!

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
Denison, TX