Slowing down...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Slowing down...
From: "Mark Wischkaemper" <kramm47@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 23:48:18 -0800
And I officially enter the fray...

I'm Mark, Michael Wischkaemper's (the lawyer's) son and other half of the
new '70 1600's (proud) owners.  Thanks for being here... all of the
enthusiasts were one of the big reasons that we opted for the car (well,
that and it's inate coolness factor ~_*).

Upon purchasing the car, we realized 2 major problems: a) the choke was
stuck all the way open on one carb and b) the throttle cable was in fact a
bicycle cable someone had *wrapped around the throttle arm* to make it fit.
Needless to say, with two unworking cylinders and about half a throttle, we
were hopelessly underpowered.

After a wonderful tune-up at ClassicDatsun in Vista, CA, including a new
throttle cable and a fixed choke, we were running great... for a minute.
This weekend, after about 200 miles (and a particularly hairy 50 mph,
fishtailed turn directly at a parked police officer *_*), we were way back
down on power-- we're just not getting the strength we know the car should
have.  Les at ClassicDatsun told us that frequently after a tune-up,
everything readjusts and just need to be reworked a little; I plan on
bringing it down and having that done in a couple weeks.  Anything else that
could be keeping us down?  I've gotta be able to keep up with him in his '64
Elan!

Thanks again for the help.

Mark (and Mike) Wischkaemper
'70 1600