Engine head rebuilder recommendation (Possible repeat post)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine head rebuilder recommendation (Possible repeat post)
From: John Hogan <mad@madgrizzle.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 10:20:08 -0500
--- My previous message didn't seem to make it to the list, so I am
repeating it here.. Sorry for the spam if it shows up---

Can anyone recommend someone to rebuild my U20 engine head?  This is such
an important part of my restoration that I don't want to trust it to some
local here in Tallahassee that has never touched one before.  Preferably,
I'm looking for someone that can rebuild these things in their sleep and
would like to get a very professional job out of it.  Considering that the
head is fairly light, I'm willing to ship it to anywhere in the US.

The head looks pretty 'clean' (no gunk or anything).  The PO said he had it
rebuilt a few years ago (head planed and some valves replaced) but never
could get the cam to turn freely "enough".  He also installed homemade
shims to raise the cam towers to restore the proper height.  Basically, I'm
looking for someone to tear it down, check everything, replace what needs
to be (such as the homemade shims), and build it back up.  I'm not looking
for "mods" to be performed on the head, just get it into very good condition.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

John Hogan
1967.5 2000 SRL31100141 "Solex"