RE: tire & rim size: Suspension setup question

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tire & rim size: Suspension setup question
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:30:31 -0800
1) Based on spring rates alone, yes, adding a comp front bar should increase
understeer. But the reduction in body roll results in better control of the
camber pattern on the front tires, so it isn't as bad as it would seem.

2) Whether you choose to run a rear bar will depend on (a) how you intend to use
the car and (b) whether you plan on running the rear comp springs. If you run
the comp springs, you will probably find that the rear is stiff enough as it is.
You can fabricate a Panhard rod (or a Watts linkage, even better) and it should
help.

3) I've always suspected that the short length (and short arc) of the traction
link put excess stress on the mounts. I've seen plenty of broken ones. When I
lowered my car, I had a threaded section put into the middle of the link so I
could adjust the length of it to eliminate any preload.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA