Re: OT 411 For Sale NorCal

To: Paul <9laser3@bright.net>, mtyler <mtyler@hctc.net>,
Subject: Re: OT 411 For Sale NorCal
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 12:35:44 -0800 (PST)
I owned an unmolested RL411 SSS from 1986-1989.  There are differences
between the R411 SSS and RL411 SSS (US).  In the US, the RL411 SSS was
only available in 67.5 and was mechanically identical to the RL411
(non-SSS) except it had a metric engine.  All PL411's and RL411's in
the US had front disc brakes.  I don't know for sure about tranny gear
ratios; it is possible they were different.  Also, for some odd reason
the 410/411 only came as a 4 door here, while the 510 only came as a 4
door in Australia.

I believe the R411 SSS (RHD in Australia) had a different instrument
cluster.  I've seen one picture of it with multiple round gauges in the
rectangular cluster rather than the large horizontal speedo in the US
410/411/pickups of the era.

If someone on the list has an RL411 that contradicts what I've said,
please speak up!  I've talked to a number of Datsun people, including
Mike Young and Mike Kerr, and neither could come up with differences
such as you mentioned about the R411 SSS.  I think different tranny
gear ratios would be pretty obvious to the experts.

--- Paul <9laser3@bright.net> wrote:
>   Not only did the R411 SSS's come with the roadster's R16 motor, but
> they
> also had a close ratio 4 speed tranny.  Came in your choice of 2
> door, 4
> door or 5 door (wagon).  Some of the early R411's had four wheel
> drums but
> most were front discs.
>
> Paul
> OROC