Houston, we have wipers!

To: "Autox \(E-mail\)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Houston, we have wipers!
From: "Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 16:21:42 -0800
This is not a little thing. The last time I saw these windshield wipers work
correctly was in 1976 heading north on the 5 freeway just south of Fresno.
At three in the morning. In the rain. That was when the driver's side wiper
arm fell off the car. I got a replacement at a Datsun dealership near
Concord and since then, something has always gone haywire.

Well, today they work again. I really don't think I'll ever use them, but
it's nice to know that hitting the switch accidentally will not chisel more
paint out of the cowl with a misbehaving wiper blade!

I pulled the wiper motor out of the car and stuck the assembly in a vice to
look inside after it  stopped working. I checked continuity on the wires,
then reassembled the unit. If you ever take an early 67 wiper motor apart,
here are a few things you might want to keep in the back of your mind. When
you pull the two long screws that hold the motor casing together, do not
grab the motor by it's rectangular casing! All the innards tend to fall out.
Hold the assembly by the gear casing instead.

If you have to replace the motor brushes (or put the old ones back in
because you grabbed the motor by it's rectangular casing) a 17MM deep wall
socket inserted between the brushes will hold them retracted in order to get
them around the armature. There is a ball bearing on the back side of the
motor shaft that you will chase around the shop if you don't find some way
to secure it to the shaft during assembly. I used axle grease. Worked great.
Also, be sure to reinsert the copper spring clips between the circuit board
and the motor case. Don't know what I did, but the motor started working
after reassembly. I hate when that happens.

I found replacement wiper motor bushings--the rubber and steel thingies that
hold the wiper assembly to the firewall--at Kragen's. It's one of those
Help! parts. They are called, of all things, wiper motor bushings! Part
number 49450. I can't recall the last thing I bought at a parts store that
actually fit without taking a bench grinder to it. Better buy a lottery
ticket today!

I posted some pics in the Superbowl 2002 gallery on Picturetrail. Not as
much fun as the SoCalROC run this weekend, but a victory at nonetheless. Now
to get that dashboard back on...

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600 (wet weather enabled)