Re: vacuum advance

To: Moon Lockwood <moon@sasquatch.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vacuum advance
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:25:52 -0800 (PST)
I just threw away a "Kar Kit" I got with my '70 Roadster.  It was still
in the box and I thought it a quaint reminder of the smog check
requirements of California.  In a nutshell, it was two vacuum caps and
a sticker.  You put the vacuum caps over the vacuum advance line and
put the sticker on the dash warning the driver not to drive above 55mph
for fear of overheating.

The vacuum advance should connect from the distributor to under the
rear carb (at least that's where it is for the 1600).  The original
metal hose winds around the back of the engine and ends just short,
requiring a short vacuum hose segment.  If your metal hose is shorter,
just get a longer piece of vacuum hose and run it to the carb.

--- Moon Lockwood <moon@sasquatch.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am starting to untie the spaghetti of home fashioned hoses and
> cables in
> my engine compartment, and I have discovered that the vacuum advance
> hose was
> just dangling from the distributor, nowhere near the carb.  Would
> someone do
> this on purpose?  It is too short right now, and I'm inclined to put
> a new
> hose on and plug it in, but I'm wondering if someone might have set
> up the
> motor to run without it.  Is this possible?  It is a 'white-trash'
> style
> setup...  missing parts, clipped hoses zip-tied here and there, and
> new hoses
> running this way and that. The car idles okay, bogs under light
> throttle,
> responds well under medium throttle, and I haven't tried wide open.
>   From this thin information would anybody think that plugging the
> vacuum
> advance in would be a bad thing?
>
> Thanks,