vacuum advance

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: vacuum advance
From: "Moon Lockwood" <moon@sasquatch.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:13:40 -0800
Hi,

  I am starting to untie the spaghetti of home fashioned hoses and cables in
my engine compartment, and I have discovered that the vacuum advance hose was
just dangling from the distributor, nowhere near the carb.  Would someone do
this on purpose?  It is too short right now, and I'm inclined to put a new
hose on and plug it in, but I'm wondering if someone might have set up the
motor to run without it.  Is this possible?  It is a 'white-trash' style
setup...  missing parts, clipped hoses zip-tied here and there, and new hoses
running this way and that. The car idles okay, bogs under light throttle,
responds well under medium throttle, and I haven't tried wide open.
  From this thin information would anybody think that plugging the vacuum
advance in would be a bad thing?

Thanks,
Moon