Re: BZZZZZZZ! ignition noise over stock AM Radio

To: mtyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Subject: Re: BZZZZZZZ! ignition noise over stock AM Radio
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 17:38:58 -0600
 From the sound of it... you need a small capacitor added to
the + coil terminal.  I usually raid older 60 & 70s wrecking yard
cars, but it is just a small capacitor with a metal tab that
bolts down (usually under the ignition coil hold down screw),
and has a wire up to the ignition coil.

Radio Shack sold them at one time (haven't look in ages...
no idea if they are still stock them).

Also If you find a whine (as opposed to a buzz), the same
type of capicator is commonly found on the back of the
alternators.

Something along the lines of a 4700ufd 25V electric capacitor
works fine. Note the polarity. They like "popping" with a bang
if installed backwards (sounds like a 22 being shot!) Anything
from a 2200ufd on up should work fine, just make sure they are
rated at least 25V.

Tom