Re: Engine swaps

To: Michael Spreadbury <MichaelSpreadbury@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Engine swaps
From: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:38:35 -0800
As far as I know, the engines are coming with everything that it would if you
pulled it out of the engine bay yourself (i.e. starter, alternator, but no
ECU)...
email him if anyone is interested.  As for what I decided upon, well, don't
laugh
now, but I went with a JDM (Japaneese Domestic Market) VG30ET (3 Litre V6 with
turbo).  I couldn't pass up the price (Ebay, $510 with automatic trans... gonna
dump the trans for a 5 speed, but it's in great shape, as is the engine).  The
intake is in the middle of the engine, unlike the domestic V6's here.  205hp,
235lbft torque at only 6lbs boost.  Gonna intercool it, move the turbo to the
other
side (have to to clear the stearing shaft), increase the boost to a modest 10lbs
and easily get into the 230hp range with gobs of torque.  Since the throttle
body
is in the middle of the engine, I should be able to move the engine back far
into
the bay to help with the increased weight.  I thought long and hard about the
different engines I could do (SR20, SR20DET, CA18DET, L-series, Yamaha SHO,
Mazda/Ford Probe V6), but all of them were expensive (except for the SR20) and I
REALLY wanted a V6.  Gonna have to strengthen and stiffen the car (cage maybe?),
and I will have to work at this to convince my wife, as believe it or not, it's
gonna be her car!  Michael, you really did a GREAT job on your SR20, and I hope
my
(I mean, my wife's) car comes out half as good.  We won't know for a year or
so, as
I have to finish up a '69 1600 and rebuild my 2litre.  My wife's car is in
pieces,
but it's at the perfect point to do the engine swap.  As I go, I will take pics
and
post my progress.

Greg Burrows
67 2000