Re: Flaired roadsters (fiberglass reinforcement)

To: "Vicki Burrows" <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Flaired roadsters (fiberglass reinforcement)
From: mtyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:06:12 -0600
Greg wrote:

>Ooohhh yaaa, that's the stuff.  I don't know much about fiberglass, so, what
>does "a little thin for street use" mean.  Could they be reinforced?  I guess
>I could just call them huh?  Man, they look GREAT!  And I could get a lot
>more
>tire under the car to handle the power... must have, must have!  THANKS!!!!!!
>Greg "Gettin' a bit rabid" Burrows.

Here's a lightweight fiberglass reinforcing trick that's so easy it wil
seem like cheating.  You can make a variation on a box-section
reinforcement with matress foam and some glass cloth. Just make sure the
part isn't warped when you start or you'll never pull it back into shape.
 Get some 1 inch thick mattress foam (softest you can find)and cut a
beveled strip  2 1/2 inches wide. Use a metal straightedge and one of
those snap-off utility knives.  Angle the knife toward the center of the
strip so the edges look like this in cross section
\__/   Maybe even steeper towards the middle.  Glue this strip where you
want your box-section little side toward the part in order to make what
looks like a foam bead (glue I use is either 3m Fastbond 30 NF or 3m
Foamfast spray adhesive)  Let this glue cure for 24 hours and then apply
a couple layers of glass cloth 2 is probably sufficient for a
non0structural piece.  What you end up with is a modified box-section
filled with mostly air, very little weight added!

-Marc T.