Re: Confused again - carb Thackeray Wahsers

To: gppepoy@cybertrails.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Confused again - carb Thackeray Wahsers
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:14:56 EST
In a message dated 2/20/02 11:06:25 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
gppepoy@cybertrails.com writes:

> I do have a roadster question.  What are the specs for tightening the
> little springy washer thingys that tighten the solex carbs  to the
> intake manifold?  How tight do you crank those little suckers?

Hey Guy ! Long time no hear from....  I'll let Mark do some typing here -
those are the same "doo-hickeys" aka (Thackeray Washers) that he has on his
Cortina with the Dellortos.........

  Hulloo!

 The trick is to not tigghten them down completely at all. If you do they
just become really expensive lock washers.   They should be set up with
between .035 and .050 free space between the coils.  You can set this up more
precisely  if you are using a pair of jamb nuts, but if you want to use
NyLocks its easier.  Stick a .050 feeler guage in, and tighten down gently
(use a 1/4 drive or a open end and a carefully calibrated finger)  Yank the
feeler guage out and it should settle down to about .035-.040 or so.

  Oh - and it's probably best to fit the aircleaner base to the other end of
the carbs first so you can treat the whole works as a unit, otherwise you
might get some uneven tension when you do fit the aircleaner.

  Once every thing is on, start the engine and spray a little carb cleaner
around the soft mounts - if it sucks in, give the nuts another quarter turn.

Mark

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC