Steering box

To: "roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering box
From: "Peter Long" <Peter.Long@ecologic.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:34:58 -0500
Hey all,

Just signed back on after a couple years away - other commitments caused
my schedule to get thrown out, so I'm doing a more complete restoration
than I had planned.

Couple of questions:  Is there still an archive of this list, and if so
where is it?  I have tried the old 'Listquest' address I have
bookmarked, but it is not working for me.

Steering Box questions:  Mine is in rough shape, the worm is badly worn,
and has an impact fracture on a portion of the flighting.
-What are my options, other than paying $800 US for a 'rebuild' from one
of our suppliers?
-Has anyone had success with having the worm
welded/remilled/heat-treated?
-What are the issues with going to a recirculating ball type - is it a
straight bolt-in?
-Does anyone have a good used box, or good used ball and worm, they'd
like to sell me...or better yet, a new worm/ball set?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Pete Long
Guelph, Ontario
'68 KA24DE, one day to be driven on the road again