RE Recommendation of gunk/oil/grease removal?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE Recommendation of gunk/oil/grease removal?
From: "Amy & Erik" <erikandamy@integraonline.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 00:51:18 -0600
Don't bother using any cleaners/degreasers until you scrape the built up
crap off.  I used gasket scrapers, dental picks and putty knifes and got
several pounds of grease/sand/muck off.

Side note, the gunk has some redeming value.  My tranny wasn't bolted down
when I got my car, but the mounts were there.  I was thinking about what a
PITA it will be to figure out what size bolts are needed to keep it from
flopping around, and I crawled underneath to check it out. (safely supported
by jack stands of course).  Well what do you know, embedded in the 1" of
"stuff" on my crossmember, was one of the bolts.  It could have been there
for at least 10 years.  The PO (my brother in law) never worked on it
himself, and likely never had the tranny looked at.

Erik Smeby
2L1600
http://www.geocities.com/smedly_whiplash/