RE: Exhaust manifold

Subject: RE: Exhaust manifold
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:02:08 -0400
They are prone to cracking, especially at the Y where the #1 and #4 pipes
come together.  The main reason to replace the manifold with a head though
is cost.  A new manifold is over $400 and it's very difficult to repair a
cracked one.
The stock manifold flows well so there really isn't much of a performance
gain from a typical header although there may be some from a good one.  The
headers cause the car to louder also.  That heavy manifold seems to muffle a
fair amount of the exhaust noise all by itself.  My car was noticeably
louder after putting on header - caused me to have to break down and by a
muffler too.
Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/