engine and tranny out, and it is a stroker for sure(Long)

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine and tranny out, and it is a stroker for sure(Long)
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:21:33 -0400
For all:
I took the advice of the list and am pursuing the overheating
problem as a head gasket problem.  I also decided to
change the clutch and have a few things on the five speed
fixed, so I pulled the engine and tranny this morning and
the tranny is at one shop, and the head is at my
favorite machine shop.  Naturally, I wanted to see if
all the stuff told to me about the engine is true, and it is.
(some of you remember the story of about 2 years ago of
this car being givin to me as a basket case, but with a
"real good engine")
(measurements via machinists rule, not micrometer)
Stroke is 3in
Bore is 3 31/64
flat top pistons
wonderful porting of intake and head, with very big valves.
Hard to measure diameter of valves, but bigger ones wont fit
in the head, there is 5/32 between valve edges in the combustion
chamber.
Combustion chambers are a nice dark Tan, so mixture must have been
pretty good.
I see where some exhaust was leaking past the head gasket into
the water jacket between 2 and 3.
The engine is new, no ridges on top of cylanders, clear cross
hatching, and clean chambers.  I would say less than 5K, but I am
no expert.

Im having the head pressure tested, and told them if warped to take
minimum material off, compression is very high as is.

For the tranny, I told them to fix the speedo gear, fix the synchros,
check 5th gear and weld or pin if needed, and put a heli-coil in
my stripped hole for the starter.  Also, new bearings if required.

Im thinking the head gasket started leaking because no one every
re-checked the torque after the engine was first built many years ago.
I sure hope that beautiful head is not cracked!  I dont have the cash
to duplicate it.

The clutch still had some strengh in the pressure plate, but was pretty
greased up from the leaking rear main.  I figure I will just have to
let it leak, I dont have the skills to try a new rear main, and from
what I understand, chances of success for a first timer are poor.
I dont have the cash to take the engine in and have it done.
I am planning of roughing up the flywheel face with emery paper.

Please let me know if anyone sees anything I am missing while this
thing is torn apart.

Oh yea, the rust in the water jackets is very slight, even back around
number 4.

Thanks in advance!
Jim
Chesapeake Va
67 pushrod 2L 5spd (in many pieces)
72 510 sportwagon (its next, when roadster is done)Get more from the Web.
FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com