Electric fan

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Electric fan
From: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:14:14 -0700
Hi list!  Several people emailed wondering what electric fan I was
running.  Well, went to the junk yard the other day and found one.
Confirmed that it is out of a '80 Datsun 310 (other years too?).  It is
easy to recognize, as it has a flat pancake motor, and a 5 inch long arm
that extends off of the middle of the fan shroud at an angle on one
side. This fan works great and fits over about 90% of the rad.  It also
mounts a little off center, which has provided enough clearance for the
water pump pulley (at least on early cars. Those with the extra spacer
behind the water pump on 1600's may want to measure first).  You have to
cut off about half of the extended arm, but that provides a spot to
drill a bolt hole through the arm and the rad frame (where your stock
shroud mounts) for mounting on the drivers side.  Drill two holes on the
other side and it will mount to the fan shroud nuts and fit perfect.
Finding a thermo-switch was a bit more difficult.  I have one that I got
years ago that was set at 180 or 190 that just slid through the rad, but
I have been all over and have not found one.  I did not want to spend
$35.00 on the Hayden super duper adjustable one, but did finally find
one (also from Hayden) that is adjustable for $17.00.  It's mounted in
the upper corner inside the shroud, and under the top hose.  A little
wiring and ta-da!  Electric fan!  Cost?  $32.00 for the fan with tax
(seems a bit steep, could be gotten for less?), $19 with tax for the
thermo switch, $1.50 for the in-line 20 amp fuse, and a little
wiring/crimpers.  What's that, less than $53.00?  The cheapest, non
thermo-switched fan I've seen is $65, and it has no shroud and uses a
toggle switch to turn it on and off (like you want to turn it on and off
as needed).  Hope this helps!  Go electric!  No more fan noise and
drag!  Free up them horses (at least another 40 hp... ok, not).
Greg Burrows