RE: Non smog head and measurements

To: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Non smog head and measurements
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:39:21 -0400
Spec for head thickness is 4.528-4.530.  Yours has been cut about 60
thousandths. One of the tricks though is trying to determine how much was
cut from the bottom and how much may have been cut off of the top.  I don't
know an easy way to measure that - If anyone does, let me know.  The amount
that was cut off the bottom affects compression ratio.  I think I could
figure it out from the diagram in the shop manual which show the port cross
section but it requires more math than I can do after a full day of fighting
with a unix box.  You can cc the chambers though to figure compression
ratio.
The easy part is that you know you need to shim the cam towers by total
amount shaved off of both top and bottom - in your case you need to shim 60
thous. to restore the cam/crank distance to stock - assuming of course that
you're not using any sort of over sized head gasket.
Hope that helps.
Brian '69 2000
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/