Re: U-20 timing chain

To: "Amy & Erik" <erikandamy@integraonline.com>,
Subject: Re: U-20 timing chain
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster@texoma.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:43:06 -0500
Hi Erik,

I asked Tom Walters and Gordon Glasgow the same question a while back.  They
both said the same thing.  Generally, the first change involves only the
chains.  Usually around 60k miles.  The chains will stretch before the gears
wear out.  The second time around requires gear replacement.  However, take
a close look at your gears to see if they are worn.  For some inexplicable
reason one of the gears will wear and the others don't.  Go figure.  If the
gears are in good shape, the chains can be replaced fairly cheaply.

Removing the 'L' is treating the symptom instead of the disease.  As the
chain stretches it weakens.  If it breaks you will achieve the same results;
total devastation.

I tried shimming mine a while back.  It turned out to be a waste of time.
As soon as I get time I'm going to replace my chains.  If yours has been
shimmed and is still dragging, I strongly suggest that you don't drive it.
If the chain has stretched that much it is most certainly getting weak.

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
Denison, TX
SRL311-13359