timing chains again

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: timing chains again
From: "Amy & Erik" <erikandamy@integraonline.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:05:09 -0500
To those who made suggestions on my timing chain dilema.  I was using 10-30
oil, I will switch to something thicker.  I do have the "anti-drain back"
tube.  I can double the thickness of my tensioner shim and it will end up
being just under 1cm thick, then there would be no way for the chain to
touch the L.  After I first shimmed the tensioner, I only got the rattle on
startup after it had been sitting for a long time (2 weeks or more) if I
remember correctly, as it has been some time since it ran.

As far as the gears go, the U maybe is not quite symetrical, but wear is
hard to see.  The teeth are not sharp, each has about a 1mm flat spot on the
tip- anyone have a new one to measure for comparison?

I finally got my cover off and will post some close up shots on my site
tomorrow night.  I noticed that my upper and lower chains say Morse 3RF and
Made in England.  I know the Japanese had a reputation of copying other
makes, but something tells me that these aren't original.  Anyone heard of
Morse?

I am now leaning towards using a thicker shim, thicker oil,  bolting it back
together and starting to save money for timing stuff next winter.

Erik Smeby
2L (once a driver, now a project)
http://www.geocities.com/smedly_whiplash/