Re: Electrical wizards?????

To: Roman Rist <roadsterregistry@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Electrical wizards?????
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:12:31 -0500 (CDT)
Roman,

Sounds as if you have a high resistance connection somewhere.

Get a volt meter, or a tail light bulb with wires connected to it and turn
on the headlights.

Connect the meter/tester across the batery POSTS, not the cable ends. 13V?
yes, the battery is charged/good. No? Bad Battery.

Check the voltage from battery cable terminal to battery terminal. 13V?
Yes, battery cables are making good connection. No, clean battery posts
and cables and try again.

Check from engine ground to + battery terminal. 13V? Yes, battery ground
is good. No, battery ground cable is bad, or bad connection of battery
ground cable to engine block. (This assumes that the battery ground cable
goes to the engine, not to the body. If it goes to the body and you don't
get 13V the problem may be with the engine grounding strap/cable.)

Check voltage at "B" terminal on fuse block, should be GW wire. 13V? Yes,
hot connection good. No, possible bad connection at starter (large stud -
not likely), 3 pin connector above starter bad (quite likely) bad wire
between starter and fuse block.

Check voltage at "H" terminal on fuse block, should be LW or GW wire. 13V?
Yes, fuse and holder (for that circuit) are good. No, check for corrosion
on fuse clips, overheated (no "spring" in contacts - soft) or bad fuse.

Check voltage at "B" terminal on headlight switch. 13V? Yes, headlight
switch and associated wiring not the problem. No, check headlight switch
and its connections.

That should be everything that can cause the problems you are seeing. My
vote is for a bad ground.

Electrical problems can be difficult to find, but with logical isolation
of the problem they can be found.

Repost if this doesn't find the problem.

Peace,
Pat

- Support Habitat for Humanity, A
"hand up", not
a "hand out" -

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner