RE: Cracks in trunk

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cracks in trunk
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:01:36 -0700
Yep, I found the same problem on mine when we went through the body years ago.
Discovering that the gas tank was basically suspended by only the filler hose on
the right side kind of freaked me out.

(BTW, one of the clues on this is when you start going through a lot of gaskets
around the filler neck where it goes through the rear panel. It's the weight of
the tank that is cutting the gasket.)

We did an overkill solution: after patching the trunk floor, fabricated 1" wide
steel straps that run parallel to the tank mounting rails. These straps are
spot-welded to the trunk floor. In the front, they turn up and go up into the
axle tunnel, where they are welded to the sheet metal. In the rear, they turn
down and bolt to the rear frame crossmember. You can stand on the trunk floor
and jump up and down and it doesn't flex.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA