Re: gas tank quest.

To: alvin gogineni <alvingogi@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: gas tank quest.
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:10:09 -0700
Alvin,

I once left Westwood (used to be a race track near Vancouver, BC) and
drove my 68 2000 home to Portland.  Since I was completely broke I had
to make that gas last.  I put the car in 5th gear, set the hand throttle, and
let
it ride near the posted speed limit (unheard of).  I only took it out of 5th and

dropped to 3rd and back to 5th to avoid being blocked in Seattle traffic once,
and of course I had to stop when we crossed the border at Lynden, which
has no traffic and very brief border inspections (at least then).

In short, when I filled the tank in Portland I calculated the mileage at 31 MPG
on SU carbs.  I never saw that before, or again, but when I was really having
to make it home I managed to squeeze it pretty hard.

Tom
69 2000
Portland, Oregon