the family grows (A roadster adventure)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: the family grows (A roadster adventure)
From: "TIMOTHY WALTZ" <printner@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:40:46 -0600
Bought another 67.5 1600 last week (that makes 3).  Only problem was that the
car was 600 miles away in Kansas City.   Eric Frisbee wanted to tow a car back
to Misery, so the road trip started taking shape.  We towed one of his to KC,
his brother Dirk and wife met us in KC and took the car the rest of the way.

Next day, we picked up my car.  A little scary, since I had only seen a few
pictures and the word of the guy at the salvage yard.  Luckily, it was a
pretty clean body.  One of the better I've seen.  Car was full of parts, and
the trunk even had a few new parts in boxes. (Even had 67.5 original headrests
and original radio). Getting the car ready to tow, it wouldn't roll--all of
the brakes were locked up.  Pulled all the brakes, put on the tow bar and tow
lights, and checked and filled tires.  Tried to fill tires.   One of the front
ones was shot, so we put on a spare.  The back tires were huge--DR78-14's (or
was that BR549?).

Finally got her rolling after about 2 hours of prep.  One of the monster tires
was bulged and shaking like mad.  Kept the speed down and kept going.   Just
inside the Kansas turnpike, she blew tread.  Pulled over and got it changed
with the other spare (now down to none).  Got going again.  Decided to stop in
Topeka and get a couple good used tires, and had the other two balanced.  Back
on the road again--smooth as butter.  Home by midnight--if I can wake up and
get the energy, I'll go vacuum out the beast today.

Word of advice--if you're planning a tow, have 4 (or more) GOOD tires to use.

SPL 311-13011 has joined the family.

Tim Waltz
67.5 1600's