Re: Going OT: Re: holy Six speed batman

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Going OT: Re: holy Six speed batman
From: John Hogan <mad@madgrizzle.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 17:23:39 -0500
So far with my Z car, I stay in 3rd and 4th for most driving.  In stop and
go traffic, I use 1st only, but in slow and go, I normally use 2nd.  If I
can avoid going into 1st gear, I will as it is fairly short.  4th gear and
then 5th gear is great for getting on interstates and getting up to
speed.  6th gear is a nice smooth cruising gear.  For passing on two-lane
roads, I normally throw it down into 4th gear and it gives me plenty of
pickup (I will normally be passing people travelling 55 mph).

As for economics, I hit 31 mpg (US) in 6th gear at 55 mph (about 2000 rpm)
for a little based upon the fuel consumption computer in the car.  Around
town I average 20 mpg.

I guess if I could have it my way, first gear would be a little
longer.  Everything else fits me fine.

John

At 03:15 PM 1/7/2003 -0500, RoadsterGB@aol.com wrote:
>Hi
>
>I drove a Toyota Corolla 1.8 T Sport for around 1,400 miles over Christmas -
>I'm sure a 6 speed in the right car is a real treat and I may be missing
>something here but in the Corolla the 6 speed box was the most pointless
>addition to any car I've ever driven. The car was not particularly fast or
>responsive (and was certainly not economical at 32 mpg - 60mph at 3,000 rpm
>in 6th). In addition it did not handle at all well. I couldn't wait to go
>back to the 5 speed Skoda vRS, which has the same size engine, is faster,
>quicker to 60mph and returns 38mpg (UK gallons).
>
>Perhaps I should wait till I can afford a Bugatti Veyron with a 7-speed
>paddle shift. The double clutch transmission shifts from one gear to the next
>in a maximum 0.2 of a second.

John Hogan
1967.5 2000 SRL31100141 "Solex" aka Rhoda
2003 350Z xxx1353 "Touring w/ 6-speed Manual" aka Zelda
www.madgrizzle.com
www.myformulas.com