The Old and the New (Car update SRL311-00489)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: The Old and the New (Car update SRL311-00489)
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:02:36 -0800
Hello All,

It's been a while since I have written to those interested in the ongoing
progress of my 1967.5 2000 restoration. A lot of good things are happening
and I promise new pics soon. I just sent a brand new pair of brake rotors to
Ross to use in my Volvo brake concersion. Ross has promised plenty of pics
of the conversion process so for those of you out there that are considering
doing this you will soon have some visual documentation of how to do it and
then you can decide if it is right for you. I will say this: The stopping
power of the volvo conversion brakes is incredible.

The rolling frame is almost a reality. The reason I had to get the rotors up
there was that he had gone as far as he could on the rear end and he needed
them. It should be rolling soon.

I just purchased an actual magazine article from Road & Track's November,
1967 article on the 2000.  It's three pages and six pictures with a complete
review of the car against the 1600 and mentions that although the car was
less than half the price of cars like the Alfa Romeo TZ, Lotus Elan, Porsche
911 and 911s, Sunbeam Tiger and Morgan Supersports, it raced right along
side them in CP class and beat them os often as not. Truly the best 10.00 I
have ever spent.

I just now got the center caps I want for my car. I have had Ross test mount
these on my American Racing Libres. I have the old kind with the 2.25"
center caps that you can NEVER find center caps for. The 510 guys run the
Libres a lot and most of the ones I saw at Turfside had no caps.

I found a NISSAN center cap that fits the 2.25" wheels perfectly. I had
thought the depth of the caps would not be enough to allow clearance for the
front spindle hubs, but Ross has assured me that if your hubs are sticking
out that far you have a problem and that they fit. So I purchased some wheel
cap stickers and then hit the jack pot when I found a grille badge on ebay
that exactly matches the stickers. Now keeping in mind my car will be black
with red interior, I thought this a good find. For those curious, here is
waht they look like:

http://home.netcom.com/~andr/caps.jpg