RE: Fan and fan shroud

To: "'Jessica'" <windsurfer@mindspring.com>,
Subject: RE: Fan and fan shroud
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:27:20 +1030
Hi there list,
I read an interesting article only yesterday in my January 2003 DSOA
Newsletter on the pros and cons of thermatic fans on Roadsters.
The short answer is:- " The fan, apart from cooling the radiator,
provides a steady stream of air that keeps the carburtors cool and
stop the fuel from vaporising."
There is also the issue of current draw and the ability of the
alternator (stock) to handle it.
The bottom line is:- "The best alternative and one that does not rob
as much HP as a fixed fan is a viscous coupled fan. This seems to
provide the best compromise".
(This theory would apply equally to twin carb Z cars as well.)
I had already fished a 2nd hand viscous hub seven bladed fan out of
the "Parts Bin" which is nearly the same diam. as the fixed blade fan
and guess what, the 4 hole mount matches the water pump flange
perfectly!!
Don't you just love the design of Datsuns:)
At worst I'll have to trim the blade length but I have to get my fan
shroud first, it is still in the USA.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 P510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
Adelaide, South Australia.