Re: Test

To: snyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Subject: Re: Test
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:54:31 -0600 (CST)
Have you tried replacing the fuel filter? Haw about checking the gas tank
for crud?

I had this kind of problem years ago on my 240Z. I spliced a tee into the
fuel line after the fuel pump and added a fuel presure gauge. I routed the
gauge out from under the hood and put it on the windshield where I could
see it while driving. I found that the fuel presure dropped just before
the engine started mising. It turned out that I had picked up a tank of
dirty fuel, which plugged the fuel filter up almost completely.

I would also try the tee and gauge before the fuel pump also. If all is
well with the tank and fuel line to the pump the pressure gauge will read
zero at all times. If it shows a vacuum there is a restriction in the tank
or the line.

I have a scan of a carb tuning procedure that works for me. I also have an
O2 sensor that I put up the tailpipe, and monitor with a digital volt
meter. A month ago I bought a colo(u)r tune, which I believe is better at
setting mixture than the O2 sensor because the O2 sensor reads the average
of the two carbs while the color tune reads each carb individually.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA