Any port in a storm (verbose)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Any port in a storm (verbose)
From: "Conley Phillips" <lonestar@cmc.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:26:26 -0800
Hi Listers --

If you live in CA or AZ or TX or never drive in the rain, you can delete
this now. It probably won't apply to you.

I recently purchased a 67 1600 and am in the process of getting it
roadworthy (windshield, electrical mis-wiring by PO). One of the things I
needed to sort out while waiting for my windshield (thanks again, Stan)
was lights. I started disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the
exterior lights, as they mostly needed to be de-corroded.

When I started work on the front park/signal units, I discovered the
rubber boot on the rear of the housing was missing which allowed water
(tire spray) to get in; thus, rust and corrosion. After cleaning, painting and
reassembling the unit, I was still faced with the problem of what to do
about the missing boot. I live in Oregon (rain is our middle name) and I
fully intend to drive this car in all but the worst weather, so I went on
a mission of finding a rubber boot. None of the usual vendors listed a
replacement part and an extensive search on the Internet provided no
obvious solutions.

Then, this afternoon I was rummaging through my collection of junk (yes,
I'm a serious packrat), I ran across a collection of pieces of ignition
parts including some plug wires and 'fittings'. I found some neoprene plug
wire caps and found a cap for the coil end of the coil-distributor wire that
was about the right size. It turned out to be a tight fit on the housing which
was good but a bit short in length. I will have to adjust the wiring sheath to
tighten up that connection, but I think it'll work, even if I have to
apply a little caulk of some sort to seal things off.

If you're not wet weather drivers, sorry to have bored you. But for those
of us, especially in the Pacific Northwest, that have to consider the
effects of water, you sometimes have to look for any port in a storm.

-- lonestar